So far our cooking adventure is off to a great start! We perused allrecipes.com and found several good recipes with parsnips.
Our first parsnip meal was a fall harvest pork stew cooked in the crock pot. Basically we prepared all of the ingredients, added them to the crock pot and waited:
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell’s® Condensed French Onion Soup
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, cut into thick slices
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
I’ve never knowingly eaten or prepared parsnips before and so far, so good! They are a lot like a starchy, white-ish carrots with a very unique, delicious taste.
The stew turned out alright. It’s probably not something we’ll make again, but it was nutritious and delicious for a dinner and lunch leftovers.
Next parsnip recipe: Parsnip fries and turkey burgers!