As a breastfeeding working mom I had a little help in keeping my supply up: COOKIES!
When I was pregnant with Michael my love of chocolate chip cookies greatly intensified and I had at least one a day. My obsession didn’t end with pregnancy and my sweet craving — especially for chocolate chip cookies — has stuck with me ever since.
When Michael was still nursing, I tried a million recipes for lactation cookies — cookies with a purpose! An excuse to eat even more! — and my favorite one came from Milkin’ Mamas, but the link doesn’t work anymore, so I’m re-typing it here.
You know a recipe is legit if it’s posted in the lactation room at work and dated almost two years prior! Enjoy!
The BEST lactation cookies (Makes a lot of cookies! Bake extras to share with your lactation room friends! Freeze what you don’t want to bake now!)
- 2 T flax seed meal
- 4 T water
- 1 c butter, soften to room temperature
- 1.5 c firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room teperature
- 1 t vanilla (I usually use don’t measure and just add a steady pour…)
- 2 c flour
- 3-4 T brewer’s yeast
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 3 c rolled oats
- 1 c chocolate chip (I prefer milk chocolate!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seed meal and water. Let stand for 5 minutes. (This simulates an egg in texture for baking.)
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat butter and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add flax seed mixture and vanilla, beat well.
- Add dry ingredients: flour, brewer’s yeast, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons onto baking tray.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooking rack.
- Use whole oats, not quick oats. Extra thick oats are even better.
- Do not substitute the brewer’s yeast with regular yeast. These are not the same thing. Brewer’s yeast is available on Amazon, as well as at natural food stores.
- Flax seed meal is available at Trader Joe’s and natural food stores.
I would make a large batch of cookie dough, bake the cookies I needed for the week and then freeze the extras, so I could bake them whenever I needed cookies.
Need other ideas for keeping your supply high? Read this post!
One thought on “The BEST lactation cookies”
Pingback: Tips for breastfeeding working moms | Megan's Island