Good bye, Royal Pains!
I lost several dear friends last week: Hank, Divya, and even Evan.
With very little fanfare, Royal Pains said goodbye. A couple of months ago, Castle and Nashville ended their final season. Sadly, my endorsement of a show or product is usually the final nail in the coffin. Even if it’s expected, it’s still sad.
I want to take a few minutes to mourn my favorite shows that have recently faded into oblivion or are on their way out:
Some long-time favorites:
- Castle — Thankfully, Castle will live on in syndication.
- Nashville — I’m still catching up, so don’t spoil it for me. I’m hoping it ended exactly as it should.
- Royal Pains — It ended exactly as it should have. All sunshines and lollipops. Makes me want to visit the Hamptons post haste!
- Pretty Little Liars — There have been 15+ “A’s” and it’s probably time for the Liars to finally grow up, but I’m still going to miss this show!
- Downton Abbey — I’m still a season behind, but I hope to binge watch soon and I’ll miss it!
- The Soup — To be honest, I haven’t watched the Soup in years and since my DVR stopped recording it, I thought it had been cancelled a long time ago.
New “I thought you were going to work out!” shows:
- Grinder — This show is so stupid that it’s perfect and is perfectly cast. With Parks & Rec and now Grinder canceled, where will I got my Rob Lowe fix from?
- The Catch — I had really high hopes for this show, but it fizzled. The characters and the plot weren’t believable anymore; I get it.
- Telenovela — Another fun watch, but not fun enough apparently. I’ve missed seeing Eva Longoria on the small screen and I hope she lands on her feet with another show soon!
- Sleepy Hollow killed off one of their show leads (Abbie Mills), so maybe Sleepy Hollow is on it’s way out too?
To end this on a positive note, I’d love to hear what you’re watching or looking forward to this fall season?
Each year I try to wait until Labor Day to get really excited about the fall TV premieres. This year was no different and I started this blog post and my extensive research on Labor Day, surfing the net and chatting up my TV buddies. My friend Liz lives in SoCal and works at CBS. We have similar tastes in TV and she informs me on everything I need to know, especially the new shows.
I’ve already printed this calendar (from TVline.com) and highlighted the shows we (mainly just me) will be watching. I like to set the DVR for the week each Sunday.
Fall TV premiere dates from TVLINE.COM
I’m most excited for the returning shows, specifically and in chronological order of return:
- Sleepy Hollow (9/22, 9 p.m., FOX)
- The Blacklist (9/22, 10 p.m., NBC)
- The Goldbergs (9/24, 8:30 p.m., ABC)
- Modern Family (9/24, 9 p.m., ABC)
- Nashville (9/24, 10 p.m., ABC)
- Scandal (9/25, 9 p.m., ABC)
- Castle (9/29, 10 p.m., ABC)
- Homeland (10/5, 9 p.m., Showtime)
- Grimm (10/24, 9 p.m., NBC)
And I have the following new shows on my radar:
- Z Nation (9/12, 10 p.m., Syfy) I’ve never really been into zombie shows — I prefer vampires — but a friend of mine from high school is in this show, so I’m going to check it out.
- Gotham (9/22, 8 p.m., FOX) I’m not that into superhero shows, but I’ll try it. Maybe it’ll be a surprise breakout show, like Sleepy Hollow was last year.
- Scorpion (9/22, 9 p.m., CBS) I’m on the fence with Scorpion too but it looks interesting and I do enjoy Katherine McPhee.
- Selfie (9/30, 8 p.m., ABC) I’ve heard mediocre reviews, but it’s the same writers as Suburgatory, so I’d like to give it a shot.
- Bad Judge (10/2, 9 p.m., NBC) I’ve heard poor reviews (again), but I really like Kate Walsh, so hopefully she’s able to save this show!
- How to Get Away with Murder (9/25, 10 p.m., ABC). I’ve heard nothing but amazing reviews on this show. I’ve heard its even better than Scandal, which means it’s going to be really good.
- The Flash (10/27, 8 p.m., CW) I’m not that into superhero shows, but I’m hearing really good things about The Flash, so it’s on my list!
I’m pretty bummed out about these cancellations:
Beyond the Mindy Project (9/16, 9:30 p.m., FOX) and the Good Wife (9/21, 9 p.m., CBS) — which I don’t currently watch but might start this year! — what do you think I should watch? Tell me in the comments below!
(A few of my favorites are mid-season shows: Parks & Rec (final season!!!! NO!!!), CSI: Cyber (new show…looks interesting…I like IT), and Downton Abbey! I’ll be looking forward to them too, but likely won’t be blogging specially about them…)
Read last year’s fall TV premiere post here and happy watching!