Each year I try to wait until Labor Day to get really excited about the fall TV premieres. This year was no different and I started this blog post and my extensive research on Labor Day, surfing the net and chatting up my TV buddies. My friend Liz lives in SoCal and works at CBS. We have similar tastes in TV and she informs me on everything I need to know, especially the new shows.
I’ve already printed this calendar (from TVline.com) and highlighted the shows we (mainly just me) will be watching. I like to set the DVR for the week each Sunday.
I’m most excited for the returning shows, specifically and in chronological order of return:
- Sleepy Hollow (9/22, 9 p.m., FOX)
- The Blacklist (9/22, 10 p.m., NBC)
- The Goldbergs (9/24, 8:30 p.m., ABC)
- Modern Family (9/24, 9 p.m., ABC)
- Nashville (9/24, 10 p.m., ABC)
- Scandal (9/25, 9 p.m., ABC)
- Castle (9/29, 10 p.m., ABC)
- Homeland (10/5, 9 p.m., Showtime)
- Grimm (10/24, 9 p.m., NBC)
And I have the following new shows on my radar:
- Z Nation (9/12, 10 p.m., Syfy) I’ve never really been into zombie shows — I prefer vampires — but a friend of mine from high school is in this show, so I’m going to check it out.
- Gotham (9/22, 8 p.m., FOX) I’m not that into superhero shows, but I’ll try it. Maybe it’ll be a surprise breakout show, like Sleepy Hollow was last year.
- Scorpion (9/22, 9 p.m., CBS) I’m on the fence with Scorpion too but it looks interesting and I do enjoy Katherine McPhee.
- Selfie (9/30, 8 p.m., ABC) I’ve heard mediocre reviews, but it’s the same writers as Suburgatory, so I’d like to give it a shot.
- Bad Judge (10/2, 9 p.m., NBC) I’ve heard poor reviews (again), but I really like Kate Walsh, so hopefully she’s able to save this show!
- How to Get Away with Murder (9/25, 10 p.m., ABC). I’ve heard nothing but amazing reviews on this show. I’ve heard its even better than Scandal, which means it’s going to be really good.
- The Flash (10/27, 8 p.m., CW) I’m not that into superhero shows, but I’m hearing really good things about The Flash, so it’s on my list!
I’m pretty bummed out about these cancellations:
- Betrayal: It was weird but I couldn’t get enough.
- Ravenswood: I love Pretty Little Liars and although it was almost too creepy to watch live, I loved this spin-off and miss it. It does sound like they’re planning on blending it back into the next season of PLL, which will be cool.
- Suburgatory: Although it is/was apparently shopped around to other networks, so maybe we’ll see it again in the future.
- Trophy Wife: I was loving this show! Too bad.
Beyond the Mindy Project (9/16, 9:30 p.m., FOX) and the Good Wife (9/21, 9 p.m., CBS) — which I don’t currently watch but might start this year! — what do you think I should watch? Tell me in the comments below!
(A few of my favorites are mid-season shows: Parks & Rec (final season!!!! NO!!!), CSI: Cyber (new show…looks interesting…I like IT), and Downton Abbey! I’ll be looking forward to them too, but likely won’t be blogging specially about them…)
Read last year’s fall TV premiere post here and happy watching!