Now that we’re officially into summer, and with this being our first summer in Buffalo, we put together our Buffalo summer top 5 list: (in no particular order)
1. Eat local: berry picking & shop the farmer’s market
Brandon and I have been picking berries for years — blueberries and raspberries are our favorites, since the picking is easy (no bending required) — and Western NY has a ton of u-pick farms. Last summer we picked raspberries, apples, and pumpkins and we went strawberry-picking a few weeks ago — perfect for a 3 foot tall individual… far less bending…
We’ve also been loving all of the farmer’s markets in WNY and have made a point to buy whatever fruits and veggies (that we’re not picking) at the local farmer’s markets. We’re having fun and really enjoying the food!
2. Patio happy hours
Winter in Buffalo wasn’t as bad as we expected (knock on wood!) but now that summer is here — there wasn’t a spring, it was skipped this year — we’re ready to enjoy the heat and humidity that is summer in Buffalo. We’re looking forward to tackling this (year old) list of patio happy hours this summer. Sun + drink & food specials + kid in school = an excellent time.
We’re already making progress on this item with our recent camping trip at Letchworth Park. It’s been 10+ years since I camped and was Michael’s first time. All-in-all, we enjoyed it. It was ~10 degrees colder than we expected at night, so we have a better idea of what to pack for next time. Also, friendly skunks and raccoons aren’t cool.
We’re looking forward to checking out: Four-Mile Creek State Park, the Adirondacks (maybe Cranberry Lake with Michael’s BFF?!), around the Finger Lakes (maybe some glamping through The Quiet Place?) and any other parks you recommend in the comments below.
4. Pool time
We moved to Buffalo and discovered the splash park with only a week left of summer. Michael loved it and was so excited for his first visit on the 4th of July. The hours are a little wonky and really cut into nap time, but we’ll get there as often as we can!
5. Play tourist
Buffalo was ranked one of the 52 places to visit this year by the New York Times. While my job allows me to drive around and explore a lot, it’s not quite the same without my boys. So, I’ve been keeping track of places I want to show to them. Here are of a few of the places I’ve already found and some that I’m eager to explore:
- Eternal Flame Falls
- Lockport Cave Tour: Scenes from Sharknado 2: the Second one were filmed here. Plus the history of Lockport is very interesting and I enjoy learning more!
- All the ice cream we can find. Perry’s, Anderson’s, Lake Effect: we’re in!
- The Buffalo Science Museum’s observatory opens this weekend
- Richardson-Olmsted Complex historical tours
- Forest Lawn Cemetery tour
- Food Truck Tuesdays (and live music!) at Larkin Square
- Drink more local wine. Niagara-on-the-Lake in Canada this weekend (a 10below Icewine Lounge!?) and maybe Spring Lake Winery? The grounds are gorgeous!
What am I missing? Fill me in, Buffalo. We’re still new here and know we have a ton left to do!